Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mind Your Head!

     For those of you who find it difficult to believe that people were really as short as Kiska thousands of years ago, please go to Scotland and visit some of the ancient structures.  This is a cairn.  From a distance it looks like a pile of rocks, but it is really a structure you can crawl into and stand up in the middle.  It was built thousands of years ago and no one knows for certain how they were used.  I will tell you the openings are very short.
    Most castles have room entrances that are much shorter than people today as well.  I can not tell you how many times my poor husband bumped his head when we visited places.  It got to be a joke between us because I was always telling him to "Mind Your Head!"

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you this is true! These people must have been incredibly short. A tall man maybe five feet tall. The cairns Alice mentions above are just an example, the brochs and castles they inhabited are the same...most doorways and entrances were just as low. I'm too embarrassed to say how many times I didn't "mind my head"! I am the poor husband.

    ReplyDelete